Poem: Old Elusive Friend of Mine (aka Object Permanence)

Old elusive friend of mine
It's as if we are meeting
for the very first time.


I have known you
for close to twenty years
our children were babies.


Remember when
we used to have coffee
and catch up on what we're doing!


Oh I meant to call you
We should go out sometime
it'll be just like old times.
 

Texts not responded
e-mails left unanswered
hard to be mad at how life goes.


Until you call:
Where did you go?
I went by your house.



New cars in the driveway
"Beware of Dog" sign.
I didn't even know you had a dog.



"I moved three years ago!
I hadn't heard from you for so long
I assumed you didn't care."



Awkward silence.
Life just got away from us
Drifted apart.


I got tired of being the one
to make all the effort
until you remember I'm there.



Not because we fought
but because of life.
Out of sight, out of mind.



Object permanence
but instead of things
it's living, breathing people.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Keeper of the Estate (Story in Eight Stanzas, Tanka Style)

Poem: Life in the Shadows

Poem: Bastille Day (le 14 juillet)