Poem: An Elusive Specter (Tanka about Chronic Illness)

I.

I am overwhelmed
by my body's odd workings
and I wonder why
it won't just work normally
just like everyone else's?


II.

Doctors appointments
so many medications
infusions and tests
and what is the problem here
or is it all in your mind?


III.

Even with results
a medical mystery
misdiagnosis
this isn't what I was taught
so it just might not exist.


IV.

Brain fog everyday
combat fatigue with coffee
pray for five o'clock
even then the job's not done
the second shift just begins.


V.

Waiting for results
every day a brand new war
that you wage alone
in a house of five people
"I'm sorry, well, anyway."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Keeper of the Estate (Story in Eight Stanzas, Tanka Style)

Poem: Life in the Shadows

Poem: Bastille Day (le 14 juillet)