Poem: Standoff in the Middle of the Road

The turkey vulture stares at me
sitting in the middle of the road
hovering over its roadkill
malice in its eyes
daring me to inch even closer
tires to the road.
Most times they fly awayPoem
this one did not.
Defiance written
beak snapped shut
in complete disapproval.
Two others stand on the sidewalk
as if silently cheering on
this rather odd standoff.
In the middle of this
rather pristine neighborhood
a battle of wits
is taking place.
This is no squirrel
darting in the middle of the road
in a moment of suicidal impulse.
It is deliberate
defiant
threatening.
I don't want your lunch
but I won't wait for your approval.
Until finally it saunters off
secure in its kingdom
a victor in its mind
and all I feel is
bemusement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Keeper of the Estate (Story in Eight Stanzas, Tanka Style)

Poem: Life in the Shadows

Poem: Bastille Day (le 14 juillet)