Poem: Depression (Tanka)


I.

Each day I wake up
the rain batters the windows
while the summer sun
peeks out from behind the clouds
waiting for the storm to pass.

II.

The shower runs cold
I know it will not get warm
bites with icy teeth
On one hand I do get clean
but the chill sinks deep within.

III.

I know I should eat
though I don't feel like I could.
So I compromise:
last night's pizza with a mug
of my bitter black coffee.

IV.

My mind in a fog
what day of the week is it?
How much have I lost
in this deep dark mire I'm in?
and thunder still booms outside.

V,

My steps feel heavy
one foot and then the other
Go through the motions
no one ever notices
no one ever sees my pain.

VI.

How long can I live
in perpetual darkness
wading through blackness
when my soul still yearns for light
that seems so very very far?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Keeper of the Estate (Story in Eight Stanzas, Tanka Style)

Poem: Life in the Shadows

Poem: Bastille Day (le 14 juillet)