Poem: Jisei (Japanese Death Poems)

 Jisei are poems written near to the time of a poet's death. A farewell to the world and an insight into the attitudes of the time. Inspired by Japanese Death Poems: Written by Zen Monks and Haiku Poets on the Verge of Death by Yoel Hoffman



I.

The World here is thin
a bit sideways and then up
the lightest of steps.


II.

Roses bloom in summer tears
petals like rain
carpets the ground
my soul smiles.


III.

Ocean's melody
striving to hear
a single beat
of the deepest heart.
Oh, I hear it now!


IV.

My darling pet
leaps into my arms!
I missed you so.


V.

Sometimes words
are not necessary
when all is already said
and done.


VI.

Cast off winter
and step into the warmth
of newborn spring.


VII.
None other
than the smile
of an old friend.


VIII.

Witty thoughts
fade
the gods are laughing


IX.

Soft and sweet
I touch harmony
it ushers me to sleep.


X.

princeps tenuit caput
Saluto auroram
nihil timendum

(head held high
I salute the dawn
Nothing to fear)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Happenings (Sifa's Real Life)

Poem: Perfect Day

Poem: On Writing, by a Writer